riboflavin migraine

Spring 2013 Newsletter

Dayton V.A. Freedom Festival

 On Saturday 25 and Sunday 26 May 2013 the 101st AB 502nd Living History and the Central Ohio Military Museum (COMM) will set up at the Dayton, Ohio Veterans Administration. Display will include AC patches, airborne patches, D-Day items, Handie Talkie, knives, uniforms of WWII veterans, weapons, T-5 parachute, posters, 30 cal machine gun, bazooka with rocket, 60mm mortar, ammo crates, grenades and sand table.  The VA is open from 1100 to 1700 hours.

We will be located adjacent to the museum.  The Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts will put flags on the graves to honor the veterans.  We will participate in formation to honor Gold Star Mothers.



Poultry Festival – Versailles, Ohio

We were invited to return to the Poultry Parade and Festival in Versailles, Ohio on Friday June 14th.  We will set up the sand table, a marker panel, the mortar, the camo netting and a 1942 GPW (jeep).  In the tent we had a weapons area, a display of infantry equipment, airborne equipment, uniforms on shirt forms (Army, Navy, Marines and Armor), a display case (with a map and edge weapons) and much more.


Military Appreciation Day

On 20 July the men of the 101st AB 502nd Living History Team and the COMM set up their WWII displays at the Ohio Historical Society in Columbus, Ohio.  A full display of weapons, demolition items, bazookas, mortar, uniforms, patches, medics items were display for the time line event.  We set up our GP Medium tent and a small canopy tent with an officer’s field display.

Sad News

 A good friend of the museum, Nick Carro passed away on 10 May 2013.  I met Nick at a parade for veterans many years ago.  His uniform is part of the museum.  Below is his obituary and bio is below:

Nick D. Carro, age 87, passed away May 10, 2013. He was born April 22, 1926, in Columbus, Ohio. He was a US Army veteran, recipient of the Purple Heart for meritorious service during WWII. He was an employee of Defense Construction Supply Center for 30 years, and a 60-year resident of Clintonville. Preceded in death by wife Agnes Guglielmi Carro. Family members include his son, Mark (Patty) Carro; and daughter, Karen Carro Power; grandsons, Brian and Adam Carro, and Shaun, Nathan, and Anthony (Ariana) Power; great-granddaughter Lillia Power; brothers, John (Connie) Carro and Dan Carro; sister, Phyllis (Richard) Natal; and his late sister Ann Cappurcini, nieces and nephews. Also survived by his good friend of 33 years, Dorothy Hughes. He was a good dad, grandpa, brother, and friend to many. We will miss him. Gravesides services Monday, May 13, 11 a.m. at Resurrection Cemetery 9571 N. High St., Lewis Center, OH. In lieu of flowers, please send donations to the Kobacker House. Arrangements made by SHAW-DAVIS FUNERAL HOME 4341 N. High St., Cols., OH 43214.


PFC Nick D. Carro

ASN# 35236695

75th Division 290th Combat Regiment Company L

Service: 20 May 1944 to 17 July 1946

Wounded 19 January 1945

Awards: Bronze Star, Purple Heart, Good Conduct,

American campaign, ETO w/one star and WWII Victory Medals

Nick was born in 1926 in Columbus, Ohio.  He was drafted in 1944.  He took basic training at Camp Hood, Tx:  Tank Destroyer Training Center.  Completed training on 23 September 1944.  He left Fort Meade, Maryland and traveled to Boston.  He then sailed on the RMS Aquitania to Scotland.  He traveled by train to South Hampton, England.  He then was placed on a LST and went across the English Channel to Le Havre, France.   He arrived in late December of 1944.   Nick was assigned as a replacement troop.  He was supposed to be sent to southern France, but  was diverted to the 75th division.  The officer in charge gave him a choice of the infantry, mortar crew or machine gun crew.  He chose the infantry.  Nick was on the front lines for about two weeks prior to being wounded.   It was on January the 19th and the 75th was in the Ardennes Forest near the town of Vielsalm.  The weather was snowy and very cold.  The ambulance took him to the field hospital.  He was transported to Paris.  While he was on the transport train an artery broke.  They had to do surgery to repair the artery.  He was flown to Bristol, England where he was placed in traction.  He went from Ireland to Iceland, to Iceland to Boston, to New York and finally Louisville, Kentucky.  He had an operation to repair the severed nerve, but it did not work.  He spent 8 weeks in a body cast.

He was sent to Battle Creek, Michigan to a convalescence hospital.  He received a disability discharge.  He was discharged on 17 July 1946.  Nick returned home and looked for work.  It was hard to get a job due to his leg injury and the influx of men returning from the war.  He was finally was able to get work as a fork lift operator at the DCSC in Columbus, Ohio.   In 1949 he married Agnes, whom he met through a friend.  In 1976 she was being treated for ovarian cancer.   Due to a Cobalt overdose for her she passed away.   They had two children, a boy and girl.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *